When I fell pregnant, giving up caffeine was one of the harder things I had to do. Especially as you’re so flaming tired all the time! NHS guidelines state:
High levels of caffeine during pregnancy can result in babies having a low birth weight, which can increase the risk of health problems in later life. Too much caffeine can also cause a miscarriage. You don’t need to cut caffeine out completely, but you should limit how much you have to no more than 200mg a day. Try decaffeinated tea and coffee, fruit juice or water…
Furthermore, some studies report that having more than the recommended daily intake of caffeine during pregnancy can lead to the baby having an increased heart rate, increased breathing rate and can have trouble sleeping. (Find out more here.)
The levels of caffeine, however, vary drastically between homemade coffee, Starbucks espresso & a Costa Mocha. I was a typical first time mum, panicked & decided to go almost cold turkey. (You can read about my caffeine-free hardship here.) Considering my office had a Costa and a Starbucks in the building, I think I did pretty well.
To help with the transition, I started drinking herbal teas. And I actually got really into it.
While breastfeeding, my caffeine intake stayed relatively low – god forbid I should give Baby Girl any reason not to sleep! But once off the boob, the number of cups of tea & coffee slowly started to creep up as I struggled to cope with the long term sleep deprivation.
Around Baby Girl’s first birthday I realised I was drinking a whopping 3-5 cups of tea & coffee a day. Which just didn’t seem healthy.
So when Yogi Tea got in touch asking if I’d like to try their range, I was delighted. Free tea? Yes please!
When the box arrived, it smelled like Christmas and a spa all rolled into one. If that doesn’t sell them, nothing will. The Bedtime tea has become a quick favourite of mine & the little recipe book the also sent me includes some really interesting & delicious ideas.
But whether you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, on a health kick or just a herbal-tea-nut, I have a little something to share the love…
Drum roll please…!
- Six boxes of Ayurvedic** blend Yogi Tea:
– Bedtime tea (my favourite): fennel, chamomile and valerian root
– Classic tea: cinnamonm cardamom and ginger
– Stomach Ease tea: cardamom, fennel and ginger
– Choco tea (so warming; like healthy hot chocolate!): cocoa shells, liquorice and cinnamon
– Throat Comfort tea: liquorice, fennel and thyme
– Licorice tea: liquorice, orange peel and cardamom
- Yogi Tea mug
- Yogi Tea ceramic To Go mug
- Yogi Tea hemp bag
- Yogi Tea tote bag
- Yogi Tea 2015/2016 calendar with recipes and yoga positions
- Stimulate Your Senses booklet introducing you to the full Yogi tea range
- ‘Recipes for Healthy Living’ cookbook with 50 recipes and 50 yoga postures (I was very tempted to keep this for myself!)
To Enter: simply comment on this blog post with why you want to win the Yogi Tea Hamper
Don’t forget to Tweet @bumpbabyme with the #bumpbabyyogitea.
The competition will be open from Friday May 15, 2015 to midnight on Friday May 22, 2015. The winner will be picked and notified on Saturday, May 23, 2015.